Friday, August 14, 2009

Some thoughts on babies and dogs


So not that I'm comparing my daughter to a 15 month old puppy... um, well, I guess I am.

But really, things that I've discovered over the past four months of living together with both young baby and young dog.

  • their attention span is about the same.
  • playing ball interests both parties. Stella watches Scupper intently as he runs back and forth for a ball when I'm playing fetch (and holding her), and if the ball squeaks, then everyone is happy! (double bonus, eh?)
  • poo is not an issue. runny poo, explosive poo, poo on your hand, etc. frankly, we're just used to poo now.
  • they sleep. A lot.
  • they think that when you wake up at 5am to take your mom back to the airport that it's time to get up and go to the park, regardless of whether it's still freaking dark out
  • both of them work themselves up, go crazy, and then crash. Right now, both are napping happily.
  • Steve and I get excited when they show off - Scupper when he catches treats mid-air and Stella when she coos and gurgles.
  • both like things that rattle and squeak
Are you seeing a pattern here? Kinda crazy, huh? So basically, I'm taking care of a toddler (Scupper) and a baby (Stella) all day long.

Can't wait until they are both the same age. ;)

1 comment:

GEB said...

And in terms of the difficulties of each: On the one hand, dogs can be left home alone for awhile; babies, not so much. On the other hand, if you do want to bring them along, infants are tolerated in far more public places than dogs.