Wednesday, July 7, 2010

May gray... June gloom... July, oh my?

San Diego has this "tradition" if you will of being gray and overcast most of May and June... and (as much as I hate to admit it to you East Coasters who are sweltering in 90+ heat...) I'm wearing a sweater and slippers right now. It's still overcast, spitting rain ever so slightly - and I'm in heaven. I am more than happy if we don't have too many warm days this summer... although that does mean Stella can't wear any of her cute summer dresses, but oh well.

What that also means is that our Fourth of July was not spent at the beach, in the water, or sitting under an umbrella to avoid the sun. Nope. We were wearing long sleeve shirts. However, because I am conditioned to believe that July 4th should involve some sort of pool/beachside celebrating, we did this:
Why yes, that IS Stella in her baby pool with jeans and a sweatshirt.
Ignore our white trash yard of buckets and rags... but the bubbles are fun.
Scup had fun eating them...
And Stella seemed vaguely nonplussed.
And we did need to eat some BBQ and traditional sides... like
like Baby Back Ribs with Cherry Chipotle BBQ Sauce (adapted from this recipe - i didn't use the beef ribs - don't like them)
Or Cilantro-Lime Slaw (UH-mazing)
or Root Beer Baked Beans (pretty darn good - next time add more rootbeer!)
or potato salad and corn on the cob that do not need recipe links. ;)

and for desert? Chocolate Raspberry Paninis! Can you tell I was making up for the last few weeks of not cooking anything exciting?

And then we ended the weekend by sitting in baking pans. Why? Because her butt fits. and i am jealous. ;)

1 comment:

Shaina said...

mmmm all that food sounds so good. I think it's lunch time at work now :) time to eat! (psst...it's been in the 90s up here this week too!)