Monday, November 21, 2011

Epic

Stella and I have returned from our amazing week at Grammy and Grampy Zs. It was a packed week – in addition to family from out to town visiting to see us Stella.

My mom out did herself with creature comforts for Stella to play with – she borrowed toys from friends and found some amazing deals at the local thrift stores. The big hit was a vinyl baby and jogging stroller that my mom proudly told me she found at Walgreens for $15. true to Stella’s nature (and probably a reflection of what we do with our real jogging stroller) she took it out in the yard on the first day and rode the baby around to see all the trees and flowers. My dad then had to suffer through the walk to the library with said stroller. The local library is literally a block away from the house, but I think the walk took us 20-30 minutes. It’s not about the destination, I kept telling my dad, but for the walk home, he picked Stella up and I carried the stroller.

We almost did all the things on their list – Dad made pancakes with Stella and planted tulip bulbs. Driving Stella around in the wheelbarrow might have been an added bonus, for Stella, of course.

 DE visit  (25)

DE visit  (146)DE visit  (106)

My mom got to make pumpkin bread, read books upon books, paint, go to the various local playgrounds, and snuggle with her granddaughter.

DE visit  (115)DE visit  (117)

I got to feel like an adult instead of “Mommy” all the time and stayed up late with my brother, went out for late night desserts at local restaurants, and didn’t have to worried about where Stella was 24-7 because I knew someone else was watching too.

I can’t say the whole week was roses and flowers – Stella was also pushing boundaries and limits, as the rules and routines at Grammy’s house were new and different and, obviously, were meant to be broken. There were days without naps, with said psycho child running around the house and throwing tantrums. We were all out at dinner one night – 11 of us – and just before the food got to the table, Stella climbed in my lap and boldly announced, “Okay. I all done. We go home now.” Luckily, the waiter keenly brought her food first and we were saved.

My favorite overheard moment of the week was in an interaction with my father:

Stella spills her dry cereal on the floor.

Dad: Stella, you need to pick that up now.

Stella: (beat) You have no doggie here?

My favorite picture moment of the week was Stella with her “shopping cart” in our local grocery store – the IGA where people still remember me as a little kid coming in to get Slush Puppies after school.

DE visit  (6)

It was a good week, but I will be honest in saying that I’m happy to be back to our (relatively) normal routine here at home. Naps have been long and blissful and bedtime has been virtually without incident. Sadly, though, I hate that we are 3200 miles and 7 hrs of plane traveling time away from my family. Stella shines when around family. She did this summer when we visited Steve’s parents and extended family for a reunion up in NorCal at his aunt’s house. She did this past week too. I believe she positively glows around family. One of these years we need to figure out how to get a little closer… somehow.

1 comment:

GEB said...

I love that picture in the grocery store. Glad you had such a great week in DE. And we hear you on the distance problem...