Monday, April 1, 2013

Better late than never...

My dear Louisa,

You turned one on Friday. Today is Monday. If you were on the only child (or in Stella's case) the first child, I would have crafted this blog post the day of your birthday, marking time, remembering the year that we have spent together. And yet, you have fallen into the stereotypical "second sibling" syndrome where some things end up being an after thought, and we rush through life, moving forward without much time to look back.

In some ways, that is very much who you are... moving forward with gusto and life. As your caregiver at daycare remarked on Thursday, "Oh my gosh, she is almost running now." Yes, at one year old, you are doing our full set of stairs without stopping, practically running instead of toddling, understanding EVERYTHING we say and voicing your opinion with emphatic shakes of the head (as in NO I don't want a diaper changer or NO I don't want my nose wiped). I think, in many ways, you are just trying to keep up with your big sister, but I don't think I can chalk up your rapid development to just that. You are, and will always be, my warrior baby. I knew that at 4 months in utero when you proceeded to kick and punch and make your opinions known, quite forcefully. I am here! it felt like you were always saying, I'm ready! Just let me at that world! And after spending a wonderful year with you, I can say that you embrace life in such the same fashion. Challenges do not seem daunting to you - you just consider the situation, and go and do it. Large box in the way in the kitchen? No worries, I'll just push it the length of the hallway out of the way? Something in my path to get to momma? No worries, I'll just climb over it. The bath water just turned on? Great, let me try to climb in that tub right now! New food in front of me? Sure! Bring it on.

And yet, for the most part, you have been the calmest child I could ever hope for. The first month of your life, your grammy kept saying "what a good baby" you were, and it's true. You hardly ever cry, and if you do, we know that something is wrong. You still love to bury your head in our shoulders, wiggling your butt to snuggle into a comfy position. Music comes on, and you immediately shake your shoulders with joy. And now that you've found the joy of being outside, I don't think we'll ever get you back in the house. (You are your sister's sibling after all).

I won't bring up that you're still not sleeping through the night... but that's probably because I've spoiled you a bit... and probably because I don't want to let you grow up just yet. Not ready to say goodbye to my "infant" and welcome a "toddler." But then again, you left infancy in the dust about 2 months ago. I am the one that needs to catch up now.

We are very excited for what the next year will bring. As one of your sister's book says, "This year with you my child, has been fun, it's true. I loved watching you turn one, but I can't wait for two."


1 comment:

Grampy said...

Louisa,
One day you will read all these posts and know that your mommy has and will always have a sweet spot in her heart for you.