Saturday, March 27, 2010

Easter Bunny: Creepy or Quaint?

So Easter is coming up... and all of a sudden, Steve and I had to think about how we are going to handle things with Stella. Since neither of us is religious (although Steve grew up in a church-going household) Easter does not have religious connotations for us as it does for others. So, what do we do? For me, Easter was always a time to have a nice meal with family and hunt for Easter baskets. Although I'm not into the chocolate/candy/sugar filled basket for Stella (obviously not at her age now, but maybe also not down the road?) we wonder what type of traditions to share with her.

Which brings me to the Easter Bunny. and I guess Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, et al. I'm not sure I'm totally into this whole perpetuation of creepy human-sized mythical creatures bring presents and gifts. I guess there is no way to get around Santa... but a bunny? Is there a way to turn Easter into a celebration of spring? Maybe it's a day we go the nursery and get plants, plant seeds, dig in the dirt, have a nice meal, pick flowers, whatever... something like that? I'm all about dying eggs for some reason... we used to blow out the insides and make an egg tree as a child, and I really enjoyed doing that. But perpetuating a myth about a big bunny that "bring you chocolate" seems a little much for me. Am I stupid here? Am I thinking too much in my head about this? I mean, please, you can't tell me that this is just a little weird, right?

What do YOU think about traditions? How would you/do you handle them with your child?

2 comments:

Summer said...

Oh, the Easter Bunny is big time creepy. Last year, when people kept asking Hannah if the "Easter Bunny was gonna come" she would look at me with big scared eyes and quickly say, "No. No. He not come in my house." So, I said, "Do you want Mommy to make your Easter basket?" She said, "Yes." And here we are. She also encourages Santa to leave things on the porch & "Mommy get them." I'm thinkin' eventually, Mommy will just officially take over for Santa et.al. permanently. But, egg dying, egg hiding/hunting...all awesome! Hanny & I just crunched/exploded a bunch of confetti filled eggs this afternoon (DIY: blow out the egg yolk of dyed egg & let dry, cut nickel size hole on one side, fill with confetti, cover hole with tissue paper, crunch!). Maybe you can celebrate "New Life" as that's what the eggs symbolize. You could go see baby animals, and new flowers, etc. Happy spring! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I wonder about Santa myself. I would really love not to do the Santa thing, but I also don't want the weird kid who ruins Christmas for all the other kids by saying there's no such thing as Santa Claus.

-Michelle